There are times when you want a space heater that can heat your living room and keep everyone toasty warm. And there are times when you want a space heater that will just heat up your cubicle or your small room. That’s when a small space heater like this Brightown Portable Ceramic Space Heater is great.
This space heater has three settings for operation. The high setting pulls 1500 watts of power, while the low setting pulls 750 watts. There is also a fan only mode that is useful for circulating air when you don’t need the heat. The multiple settings allow you to control the amount of energy you choose to run the space heater.
As far as aesthetics go, this heater has a relatively small form factor, measuring only 7.5 inches wide, 6.2 inches deep, and 9.2 inches tall. There are two control dials on top to control the unit operation and the thermostat. The thermostat is a dial type, so you can’t set a precise temperature beforehand. However, you can still use it by letting your environment get as warm as you like and then turning the thermostat down slowly until the heater shuts off. At that point, the heater will turn on when the room gets colder.
This space heater has the two most important safety features that you want. There is overheat protection that will turn the unit off if things are getting too hot, or if you’ve left it running on max for a while. The other is the tip over protection that automatically turns off the heater if it falls over. The heater is also ETL certified, so you know that it has passed stringent safety tests.
This heater uses a combination of radiant heat and force air convection heat, so you’ll get immediate warmth as long as you’re in front of the heater. After a bit, as the heater begins to warm the air, you’ll start to feel ambient warmth as well, so you can move out from in front of the space heater.
What is Radiant Heat and Convection Heat?
Radiant heat is one of the three ways that heat moves from areas that are hot to areas that are cold. Heat always wants to find equilibrium where everything is the same temperature. The three methods of heat movement are radiation, convection, and conduction.
● Radiation – This method of heat transfer is what powers radiant heat. With radiant heat, you need to be in line of sight of the front of the heater in order to get warm. That’s because the heat comes in the form of radiation, which travels in a straight line.
● Convection – This uses a liquid as a heat transfer medium. In the case of space heaters, air is considered a liquid. The fan draws in cool air, which passes over the hot ceramic core and transfers heat to the air. Then, the warm air passes its heat to you.
● Conduction – The type of heater that uses conduction is usually a seat warmer or a chemical hand warmer. That’s because this method of heat transfer uses a solid as the way to travel. Think of how a ceramic mug gets hot when you fill it with coffee.
What this means is that when this space heater combines radiant and convection heat, you’re getting two methods of heat transfer. Radiant heat is extremely fast to start, and will get you warm immediately. You just need to be in front of the heater. After a while, the forced air convection heat will start to raise the air temperature in the room. As the air temperature is raised, you will start to feel more comfortable. That also means that you don’t have to sit in front of the space heater to feel warm any longer.
There are definite advantages to having both types of heat in your space heater. Not only do you get the near instant heat of radiant heating, but you also get the comfort of the warm ambience of convection heat.
Pros and Cons
This is a list of benefits and drawbacks when it comes to this space heater. It’s good to see them in a list so you can make an initial decision on how well this space heater will fit your lifestyle.
● Small form factor with significant heat output
● Three operational settings: High (1500 watts), Low (750 watts), and fan only
● ETL listed
● Tip over protection and overheat protection
● Thermostat allows you to control the heat to the level you want
● Might not be able to warm large rooms
This Brightown Portable Ceramic Space Heater packs a lot of thermal output into the small form factor. Whether you want a space heater for your office or your bedroom, this space heater will suit your needs. With the low price point, this is a great value and energy efficient space heater.