Davis Instruments is an American company based in Hayward, California, and makes instrumentation products in fields from weather monitoring to sport fishing and pest management. They have been in business for over 30 years, providing affordable scientific gear for both backyard hobbyists and professional meteorologists.
This weather station is one of Davis Instruments’ premiere models, with a 2.5 second refresh time and a 1000 foot range. This weather station operates on the 902 to 928 MHz range with spread spectrum frequency hopping. That will ensure constant transmission no matter what the source of interference. The Vantage Vue includes an integrated sensor suite (ISS) along with a separate console. The ISS has numerous features that allow it to measure ambient weather conditions, including:
Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue
- Rain Collector – The self-emptying tipping spoon can measure rain with 0.01 inch accuracy.
- Anemometer – This instrument measures wind speeds ranging from 2 mph to 150 mph.
- Wind Direction – Can either measure wind direction via compass points or via degrees.
- Temperature – Can measure temperature from -40 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit (-40 to 65 degrees Celsius).
- Relative Humidity – Measures relative humidity from 0 to 100 percent.
- Radiation Shield – The shield protects the ISS from solar radiation as well as reflected heat and other radiative sources.
- Bubble Level – Allows for accurate placement for accurate readings.
- Weather Cover – Corrosion resistant to protect the housing from the elements. Additionally, internal electronics are potted or molded-over for additional protection from the elements.
- Solar Cell with Capacitor – The solar cell provides power during the day, while the backup capacitor stores energy for use at night. A lithium battery provides backup power when both solar sources are depleted or unavailable.
The ISS works in conjunction with the console, sending the data that it collects. You use the console to see the data. The console has a backlit 3 x 4-3/8 inch screen with a glow in the dark keypad. Some of the information that you can review on the console is:
- Time and Date – Not only displays the current date and time, but also the expected time of sunrise and sunset.
- Barometer – Five-position arrow displays trends and whether pressure is rising, falling, or stable.
- Temperature/Humidity – Outside temperature and humidity are updated every 10 seconds and 50 seconds respectively. Inside temperature is updated every minute.
- Rain – Precipitation is updated every 20 seconds, measuring totals and rate for the last 25 hours, days, and months.
- Wind Speed – This measurement updates every 2.5 seconds, providing data in mph, meter/sec, kilometers/sec, and knots. Gives average and max wind speed over 2 and 10 minute intervals.
- Alarms – You can set up to 22 different and simultaneous alarms for different parameters, ranging from high winds, low temperatures, rate of rain, and flood warning.
- Multiple Display Options – Wind Chill and Heat Index can update every 10 seconds if needed.
There are many more things you can do with this weather center. The console allows you to get approximated weather forecasts, moon phases, and when connected to a pc, consolidate all of the data to get complete graphs of weather trends.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a home hobbyist or someone looking to get information from your second home, this weather center will provide you with all of the information you could possible want, and more.
Understanding the Difference between Relative and Absolute Humidity
This weather center is able to measure relative humidity, rather than absolute humidity. But what is the difference between the two? You know that humidity is the measure of the amount of moisture in the air. As air temperature changes, the amount of water that the air can hold changes; that is, the amount of humidity when compared to temperature becomes relative. And when you don’t care about temperature, you’re measuring absolute humidity.
This is the amount of water in the air, regardless of temperature. It is measured in grams of water per cubic meter. It is completely measured independently of the temperature. This means that the measurement is a fraction. Keep in mind that even if it’s raining, the absolute humidity can be relatively low.
This is the percentage of water that is in the air compared to how much water the air can hold. As the air temperature goes up, the amount of water it can hold goes up. At 80 degrees Fahrenheit, air can hold roughly 20 grams of water per kilogram of air. So, if there is currently 10 grams of water per kg of air, then the relative humidity is 50 percent.
Relative humidity is also a determiner of comfort. For the most part, people are most comfortable when the relative humidity is from 25 to 60 percent.
This home weather center is a great option for people who crave data about their surroundings. With Davis Instrument’s experience and durability, you will get years of use and information. With the ability to transmit data to multiple consoles, you can share information with your friends or colleagues and also contribute to the greater understanding of weather patterns in your area. With the advent of climate change becoming of more interest to scientists around the world, this center can help expand knowledge of how the climate is affecting your local weather patterns.