Last Updated on by
ecobee is one of the premiere names in smart thermostats, and the ecobee3 is one of their premiere models. Using the ecobee3 properly, you can save 23 percent or more on your heating and cooling costs. If you take advantage of some of the deeper features of the ecobee3, you can save even more.
The ecobee3 is very easy to install, even if you’re not a professional. Thanks to the ecobee app and fully detailed instructions, you can get the thermostat up and running in about 30 minutes. If you have any difficulties with the setup, you can contact ecobee’s customer service and technical help desk from 8:00 am to midnight during the weekday and 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on the weekends.
The ecobee3 is controlled from the actual thermostat or from the ecobee app on your smart device. It also pairs with the Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, and the Wink smart hub. Using a smart home hub allows you to connect your ecobee with all your other smart devices to truly create a smart home.
The ecobee 3 is fully programmable, with a full seven days with multiple events per day. The base unit is also able to be locked to prevent random fingers from changing the thermostat without your knowledge The unit is meant to be hardwired to the wall using a C-wire and connected to your local Wi-Fi for full features.
Using the ecobee Sensors
But where the ecobee3 truly shines is when you integrate the multiple room sensors. Thermostats without a sensor only read the temperature in one place, where you install them. So the thermostat makes adjustments based on how hot or cold that place is. This can make the rest of the house uncomfortably hot or cold.
These sensors allow you to track the occupancy and temperature of different rooms. The ecobee3 can then track if a room is occupied, and thus if that room’s temperature should be adjusted. By knowing if a room is occupied and that room’s temperature, the ecobee3 can reduce the amount of energy you use heating or cooling your house for rooms that aren’t occupied. This means that less energy is used unnecessarily, thus keeping money in your wallet.
The ecobee3 is able to receive input from up to 32 wireless sensors. This freedom gives you more control and a greater ability to receive information about every room in your house. The sensors also have a long battery life, able to communicate with the ecobee3 for up to 2 years.
Why Are Thermostats Smart?
For a thermostat to be considered smart, there are a few things that it should do.
● Of course, it should be able to control your HVAC system, making changes and keeping your home at a temperature that you find comfortable
● You can program the thermostat to adjust to a schedule that you set. In most cases, the program is either a full seven-day schedule, or a 5-2 day schedule. The 5-2 day is meant for 5 weekdays and 2 weekends.
● Each day of the schedule has a series of events where the thermostat will change its setting. For example, an event would be when you leave for school or work. While you are home, your thermostat is set for a comfortable 76 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer. When you leave, you let the temperature rise to 84 degrees. That change is an event. Another event would be when you come home and the thermostat changes the setting from 84 back to 76 degrees Fahrenheit.
● Smart thermostats are also connected to the internet. This connection lets a user make adjustments to the thermostat on the fly from virtually anywhere. This is usually from a smart device like your phone or tablet, but also from your computer. Because it is so easy to make changes whenever and wherever, you can save money quite easily.
● Full featured app allows full control of the thermostat from anywhere
● The ecobee3 gives you alerts and maintenance reminders
● Reports from the ecobee show you how you’re conserving energy and give you tips on how you can improve your savings
● Schedule self-adjusts as you make changes as the thermostat learns from you and your habits and likes
● Geofencing feature only works with one user without additional setup and integration with a smart hub.
A smart thermostat will save you money, that’s for sure. When you get reports from your thermostat telling you how you’ve done when it comes to saving money and how you could save more, then you know you’re in the future. With the ability to add sensors to your home that let your thermostat save you even more money, the ecobee3 is a spectacular choice for upgrading your existing thermostat control.