Last Updated on by
The Emerson Sensi Touch Smart thermostat is a great model for someone who wants to take control of their energy usage and bills. There are several things that set this thermostat apart from its competitors.
First, this smart thermostat is easy to install. The instructions included in the box tell you to download the Sensi app first. You can find it on the Google Play Store for Android or the iOS store for Apple. Once you’ve downloaded the app, you tell it what wires your old thermostat had connected. After that the app tells you what wires to connect and in what order. In total, there are 16 steps, and Sensi estimates that it should take you about a half hour from start to finish.
The Sensi Touch is compatible with a wide range of heating and cooling systems. Here is a complete list:
● Conventional up to 2 stage heat/2 stage cool
● Heat Only
● Cool Only
● Heat Pump with or without an accessory, up to 4 stage heat/2 stage cooling
● Gas, Oil, and Thermoelectric
● Geothermal and Dual-Fuel
You will need a C-wire to properly control all of these units however. There are a few types of HVAC systems that are not compatible with the Sensi Touch. These include line voltage electric baseboard heat and proprietary systems. Millivolt systems are not compatible out of the box, but the addition of a 24 volt transformer will allow the Sensi Touch to control those as well.
Using the thermostat is also very easy. The easiest way to start saving money is to use the geofencing feature that comes with your Sensi Touch. Essentially, this detects when you’re home and when you’re away, and raises and lowers the set temperature correspondingly.
Using the Sensi Touch’s Features to Best Effect
This Emerson Sensi thermostat comes with several built in features that can enhance your comfort level and even save you a bit more money. Here are a few that you should know about:
● Controlling the cycle rate – The cycle rate of an HVAC system is how quickly it turns on and off. By changing this setting, you can prevent your heater from turning back on just after it turned off. See, a faster cycle rate will mean that the temperature will be controlled more tightly, but delaying that may mean the temperature drops or goes up a few degrees before your system responds.
We recommend going for the longer delays for a couple of reasons. First, does it really matter if your home gets one or two degrees colder or warmer before your system reacts? And secondly, that quick cycling can be damaging to your heat pump.
● Use the scheduling – If you don’t use the scheduling, then your smart thermostat is going to waste. You can set up to seven independent schedules with the Sensi Touch, which means you can program different schedules an use them when you need them.
● Use Geofencing – If you don’t want to use the scheduling feature, then geofencing will turn the thermostat up or down when you move in and out of the 3-mile radius around your home. While this might not work well if you work or school close to your home, for everyone else, it’s an easy option.
It’s Not Just Your Thermostat
When you want to save money on your heating and cooling bills, you need to look beyond your thermostat. Here are a few places to look when you want to master your energy use.
● Windows – Look at your windows and check the molding around them. Also, consider getting them replaced if they aren’t an efficient double or triple pane model
● Insulation around outlets and switches – a lot of heat can escape from your outlets and light switches. It only takes a few minutes to install insulating gaskets to help prevent heat loss
● Get a thermal scan – If you really want to know where you’re leaking money from your house, hire someone to do a thermal scan. They will use an infrared camera to check your home and see where heat or air conditioning is leaking. Once you know, you can take the appropriate steps to fix this.
● Geofencing allows you to eliminate the need for scheduling
● Multiple users can log into one thermostat to accurately control heating and cooling needs
● Energy Star Certified
● App is easy to use
● If you need it, flexible scheduling allows you to set individual schedules for individual days
● Geofencing is un-adjustable from three mile radius
There is a reason that the Emerson Sensi Touch Smart thermostat has been a customer favorite for three years running. With an easy to set up interface and the ability to control multiple thermostats from one app, this smart thermostat is easy to use and makes it easy to save. If you’d like to look at other thermostats to see what they have to offer, you can see them here.