Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Space Heater Review

Last Updated on by

Mr. Heater Vent Free Natural Gas Space HeaterThis Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Space heater is a great solution if you want to save money on your electric bill but still want to supplement your existing HVAC system. This wall mounted space heater runs on natural gas and generates 30,000 BTUs of thermal output. With a low 0.030 MCF burn rate, you can afford to run this heater when you want without worrying too much about your gas bill.

Product Overview

With natural gas space heaters, safety should always be one of your primary concerns and the Mr. Heater has the one safety feature that you want. An automatic low oxygen shut off (ODS) sensor. This feature detects if the amount of oxygen in the air drops below a certain threshold and if so, shuts off the gas feed.

Unfortunately, because of this safety feature, you can’t use this space heater at high altitudes above 4500 feet above sea level because the thinner air will activate the ODS and cause the space heater to continually shut off.
This is one the best space heaters for the basement because of the high thermal output. Just make sure that there is adequate ventilation. For this reason, this unit shouldn’t be used in the bathroom, a bedroom, or a recreational vehicle.

If you need a space heater in a specific room and you don’t mind one that you can’t move, then this Mr. Heater space heater is a great choice. You may incur a little extra expense getting the natural gas fitting put into the room you need heated, but when you consider how much money you’ll save, it’s a fair trade off.

Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Whenever you deal with a space heater that generates heat by burning fuel (such as propane, kerosene, or natural gas), you have to think about the dangers of carbon monoxide. While most modern space heaters that use fuel have automatic sensors that turn off the heater in the case of low oxygen, you should still be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so you can be on the lookout.

Four primary symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

● Tightness across the chest
● Sudden tiredness or headaches
● Dizziness, nausea, or sudden sleepiness
● If you’ve had heart surgery or have heart problems, you may experience chest pains.

If you or your loved ones experience any of these symptoms, you should immediately get to fresh air. At extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, people have been known to vomit or feel disoriented and confused. You may also feel exceptionally weak or like you’re suddenly drunk. Eventually, you will pass out, and if not gotten to fresh air, death will occur.

Not everyone reacts to carbon monoxide the same way. The more vulnerable segments of the population will tend to be affected more severely of course. These include the young and the elderly. Also, if you are pregnant, carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous to unborn children and fetuses.

As we said, if you suspect that you have carbon monoxide poisoning, get to fresh air and call 911. Do not attempt to go back into the home to rescue others as you can get overwhelmed and succumb. Likewise, don’t let anyone else go in unless they have the appropriate personal safety gear.

Pros and Cons

Here is a short list of the pros and cons of this space heater so you can get an idea of the primary reasons you should get it and why you might look at another space heater.

Pros:

● High thermal output of 30,000 BTUS
● Uses Natural Gas as a fuel source so you don’t have to worry about your electric bill
● Wall mounted and installation kit is included
● Able to heat most large sized living rooms and basements easily.

Cons:

● Cannot use at high elevations because of low oxygen levels
● Not for use in bedrooms, bathrooms or other enclosed spaces because of carbon monoxide dangers

Conclusion

If you’re looking for a natural gas space heater that is efficient and won’t break the bank, this Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Space heater is a great option. It generates a lot of heat for a unit this small and is easily wall mountable. The only major drawback is that if you live at a higher elevation, you might not be able to use it because of the low atmospheric pressure.