The MRCOOL Comfort Made Simple mini air conditioner unit is a small unit packed with tons of modern features and innovative, user-friendly controls. The coolest thing about this unit is that it is a smart unit, meaning that it works with the Smart HVAC phone app, as well as smart home voice-activated devices. Using the app, the unit is controllable from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection.
It’s also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, so users can control it with just a few words. However, if you don’t have this smart home setup, or don’t want to use the app, there are standard options on the unit in addition to the smart options.
Not only is the unit easy to use, but it is also easy to install. It comes with a 25-foot quick connect line that doesn’t require special tools, equipment, or training. Unlike most units, this one doesn’t require installation by a licensed HVAC technician.
MRCOOL Comfort Mini Split Air Conditioner
The installation is easy and the 5-year parts/7-year compressor warranty is still applicable if you do it yourself. In fact, the manufacturer almost urges you to by advertising the ease and convenience of the installation package. This mini air conditioner offers coolant leakage detection, as well as a SLEEP mode. In this mode, the unit will automatically adjust the temperature to maximize comfort throughout the night.
In COOL mode, the unit will increase temperature by 2°F each hour. In HEAT mode, the unit will decrease temperature by the same amount per hour.
After 7 hours in SLEEP mode, the system will automatically switch off. This allows for a comfortable sleep, uninterrupted with no need to wake to change the temperature.
Another cool thing about this unit is that it isn’t just suitable for a home setting. It also has features that make it great for areas that need to be cooled or heated year-round.
One of these features is the “follow me” feature. By pressing “follow me” on the remote, the air conditioner knows to set the temperature in regards to wherever the remote is. This prevents the typical tendency of the unit to stop cooling or heating once the air around the unit has reached a set temperature.
Now that we have the basic run down of the unit, let’s break it down even further into pros and cons.
Pros and Cons
● Smart unit, works great with Smart HVAC app, Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant
● Control unit from anywhere with Wi-Fi, also includes a remote for at-home use
● Easy 25-foot quick connect line for easy DIY installation, no special tools needed
● Variable-speed DC inverter compressor technology increases efficiency
● SLEEP mode regulates room temperature for a comfortable night’s sleep
● Cooling down to 5°F with a “follow me” feature to prevent the unit from adjusting heating/cooling based on the air directly around the unit
● Leakage detection notifies user of low coolant with an alarm
● Mini air conditioner takes up less space and its size makes it easier to install
● Pre-charged 410 quick connect lines
● Depending on the BTU selected, the SEER ranges from about 16-17.5, which makes it slightly less efficient than other modern units on the market.
● The app is a seemingly huge advantage, but many buyers have trouble keeping the app paired to the unit. This doesn’t happen with everyone, but there is always a chance that the app is poorly designed.
● Despite advertising the ease of installation, it isn’t a one-person project.
Many people reported needing extra manpower to complete setup, and recommended having 2 helpers if buyers decide to go the DIY route.
As far as features go, this unit is the definition of an upgrade. It offers an extensive range of modes and settings, with an app and remote to control them. It even integrates the unit with smart home capabilities that can be used with an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
There is a wide range of flexibility and control with this model. However, this does take away some simplicity that other units offer. There is a standard unit option that might allow for more simplicity than the smart unit.
A big downside to this unit is efficiency. While still technically within Energy Star qualifications, putting it at the top 25% of efficient units, it is still lower in efficiency level than other units.
The 12,000 BTU unit offers an SEER efficiency level of 17.5, and the 24,000 BTU unit offers an efficiency level of only 16.
Lastly, although the app seems like a huge plus, the quality of the app may be lacking. Not to mention, DIY is easy, but only if you’ve got a helper or two. Overall, this is a great option and more high-tech than most other options out there.
Additional Information on this Brand and Model
MRCOOL is, as you might expect, on the forefront of modern technology. Their goal is to make units that are flexible and tailored to be a perfect fit for the specific home (or smart home) they’re in. Their products are designed to integrate seamlessly into the lives of their owners.
This unit is ductless and a split-system. It has the benefit of cleanliness, as the lack of ductwork limits the presence and accumulation of allergens.